第二节 (共10小题;每小题1. 5分, 满分15分)
The giant panda, also 36. (know) as panda bear or simply panda, is a bear native 37. south central China. In the past many years, the giant panda 38. (drive) out of the lowland areas where it once lived as a result of farming, deforestation and other 39. (develop). Wild population estimates vary: one estimate shows that there are about 1, 590 individuals 40. (live) in the wild, while a 2006 study estimated that this figure could be as high as 2, 000 to 3, 000. Some reports also show that 41. number of giant pandas in the wild is on the rise.
The West first learned of the giant panda on March 11, 1869, 42. the French missionary(传教士)Armand David received a panda skin from a hunter. In 1936, Ruth Harkness became the first Westerner 43. (bring) a live giant panda named Su Lin to the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago. To protect the pandas, in 2012, Earthwatch Institute, a global nonprofit organization that teams volunteers with scientists to conduct important 44. (science) research, launched a program called “On the Trail of Giant Panda”. This program, based in the Wolong National Nature Reserve, allows volunteers to work close with pandas cared for in captivity (圈养), and help them 45. (gradual) adapt to life in the wild.
36. known 分析句子结构可知, 设空处为非谓语动词, know与panda是逻辑上的动宾关系, 故填过去分词known。
37. to native to是固定短语, 表示“本土的”。
38. has been driven 由时间状语In the past many years可知, 设空处应用现在完成时, 又因the giant panda和drive是动宾关系, 主语为可数名词单数, 故填has been driven。
39. development other修饰名词, 故填development。
40. living 分析句子结构可知, 设空处为非谓语动词, individuals和live是逻辑上的主谓关系, 故填living。
41. the the number of表示“……的数量”, 为固定搭配。
42. when 设空处引导一个定语从句, 先行词是March 11, 1869, 在定语从句中作时间状语, 故填when。
43. to bring the first...to do “第一个做某事的……”。
44. scientific 此处为形容词作定语修饰名词, 故填scientific。
45. gradually 此处为副词修饰动词, 故填gradually。